We were thrilled to welcome Angela to our table. She's been a staple at various family holidays for years now--so much so that we demanded she bake some rolls for us. Thank goodness she's goodnatured, but I suppose that's what it takes to put up with some of the more challenging members of our little family.
However, Elise did not make it to dinner, as she was again taking a giant nap. And poor Daddy was only an observer for the first 10 minutes as he was still finalizing pacifier negotiations with Elise regarding the nap (Elise is clearly a pacifist, hahaha). Thank you, Matt, for letting me eat a hot Thanksgiving dinner!
After dinner and dishes, we inducted Kalina into a Hanks family tradition: takeaway bingo. Of course, no one was allowed to take the gift we'd specifically picked out for Kalina away from her: a Play-Doh fun factory that she probably loves more than Elise at this point, and has sent many a Play-Doh critter through (much to Matt's delight). Kalina was done playing the game as soon as she unwrapped it--she now had Play-Doh to smash instead.
Then everyone but Elise had some pie, and we all headed up to Grandpa's house for a change of scenery.
By this time it was dark, and the toddler, who has been skipping lots of naps lately including, of course, Thanksgiving Day's (we didn't even try), needed some downtime. Much to our surprise when we opened the cardoors at Grandpa's, only one of our girls was bright-eyed--and not the one you'd expect! Elise may have dozed during the 25-minute trip, but Kalina definitely slept. She initially did not want to wake up, but fortunately was back to being her happy self once she was safely inside and surrounded by toys.
We enjoyed some leftovers, a quick game and some conversation before turning around and heading back home again so we could get both girls to bed at a decent time. We crossed our fingers that the night wouldn't punish us for a really fun day. It didn't!
The next day, the girls and I made it out for some really low-key, child-friendly 10:00 a.m. Black Friday shopping since Matt was working (yes, I was up in the 4:00 hour and I'm sure I could've scored some great deals, but chose to stay mostly in bed). It was almost a disaster--I didn't exactly run the girls into the ground, but the day before had taken care of that for me. Both girls melted down at once, and I was the talk of the bookstore as strangers either wondered aloud whether Elise was hungry or held doors for me to pave my way out (hint hint?). Kalina was asking for naptime on our way home.
I was glad I went, though--not only did I run into the mom that I've become friends with only by running into each other randomly (true story!), but I managed to find a nice Christmas book that actually told the real story of Christmas in words a toddler can at least follow (with Jesus and everything!). Kalina snapped up a Veggie Tales Christmas DVD that was on a great doorbuster sale. What a little shopper! Even Elise was too wowed to sleep in her stroller. No matter--in a few years they'll be the ones dragging me out the door.
Photos:
1: Elise sleeping!
4: Kalina playing in the leaves a few days ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment