We've tried lots of ways to get Elise into the action a little more. We'll move her from playmat, to swing, to exersaucer depending on which room we're in. We'll scoop her up to join in on storytime or dinnertime for as long as her baby squirminess will allow (oftentimes Elise really does prefer her playmat). We'll carry her around during household tasks. And even if we're rushing around putting out fires for an entire morning, we'll stop every time we pass the baby to at least say hi and tickle her tummy a bit. But the funny (and, admittedly, wonderful) thing about Elise is that she's quite happy and content no matter where she finds herself. All the more reason she deserves to be cuddled.
For this reason, Matt and I both consider it a treat to get to spend quality one-on-one time with little Elise. And I'm pretty sure our happy, content little 4 1/2-month-old would agree.
Matt and I each have our favorite activities with the baby. Matt enjoys storytime (from "The Curious Little Kitten" to "The Greatest Hunting Stories Ever Told") and carrying her in the Baby Bjorn. And I like dangling toys in front of Elise to help her practice rolling (she can now roll back to front, but is not getting the hang of front to back at all) and making her laugh.
Even Kalina has fun with Elise. Too grown up for tickling games herself (or so she would have us believe), she loves making Elise the target of any antics of Daddy's. "Do it to Elise again!" she screams ecstatically after Daddy tickles Elise. "Not Kalina!" We're just glad she's not jealous.
One of Elise's all-time favorite activities, as I've recently discovered, is what I call "blanket time." When I was still pregnant, I decided Elise needed a super-soft blanket as a present from her mommy. As it turns out, she really does. Before each of her baths, I place an undressed, undiapered Elise on the blanket, and she squirms and wriggles to her heart's content. Despite the fact that I get squeals of delight right from the beginning, I soon found their true emotion is almost impossible to capture on film. I had a little more luck when we were playing with her teddy bear (see above photos).
Another new activity for Elise is the exersaucer. While Kalina enjoyed the idea of standing up when she used her exersaucer, I think Elise, in her week or two of wobbly employment of the toy, has already gotten more out of it than her older sister ever did. The baby is so busy in there we hate to take her out of it--but we do. After all, who can resist such a happy baby?
No comments:
Post a Comment