Thursday, June 5, 2008

Doctor visit!

The big news at today's appointment is that I'm going to get another ultrasound at my next appointment. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about this. Basically, everything is most likely absolutely fine--the doctor is only prescribing this as a precaution. I'm measuring 4 weeks behind (a bit of a relief to me, personally, after last week's 5-weeks-behind measurement) and they want to check Baby's weight and the level of amniotic fluid to make sure both are on track. Once again, I'm probably measuring small for one or more of the following perfectly harmless reasons:
1.) I'm relatively small
2.) The baby's relatively small (but not dangerously so)
3.) The baby's position
4.) How I'm carrying

Nevertheless, I'm definitely freaking out until the ultrasound is over and we find out that everything's truly okay. Of course, I'm excited to see Baby Girl again and to learn how much she might weigh (ultrasounds aren't really very accurate in determining fetal weight), but I'd give it up in a second to be measuring perfectly and not have the slight chance that something is wrong.

I'll probably bring a packed hospital bag with me: my ultrasound appointment, which they haven't scheduled yet, should be about the time I'm becoming full term, so if there's a significant problem they probably wouldn't hesitate to deliver her, or at least send me to the hospital. Probably just my mind overreacting to the situation, but do I have any choice but to overreact?

On a shallower note, this will probably give us a chance to double-check and make sure Baby's a girl. We're quite sure that she is, but as long as everything else is okay, it'd be nice to confirm that she'll be more comfortable among lambs and bunnies than horses and tractors.

The rest of the visit went fine. I was thrilled to see I only gained 1 pound, despite 2 baby showers. I added it to my monstrous gain from my last appointment and happily averaged it out to 2 pounds/week for 3 weeks. Not nearly as bad!

Hopefully next week, or early in the week after, I'll be able to post another picture of happy, healthy Baby Girl!

No comments: