Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Kalina Christmas

Lately, Kalina noticed that all of her toys are new. Add to that the fact that she's being dragged across the midwest and cuddled by lots of strange people who all look a little bit like her parents, and it can only mean one thing: the girl's first Christmas.

We think she likes it. She has become a pro at opening presents: she drools her happy anticipation and tears paper (with a little help) with gusto. She tastes each with utter delight, although she at times confuses the present with the paper it was wrapped in. This could've been a very cheap Christmas but none of us would stand for that.

Kalina achieved at least one milestone thanks to her new presents, so we can only assume they're worth it. She's certainly had a great time with them, as did we.

Of course, Christmas isn't only about presents, it's also about seeing family and friends. Kalina was extremely popular at every gathering she attended. In fact, some would say the party didn't begin until she arrived, especially since when she was gone it was usually because she was napping and we all had to keep quiet.

She was held by almost everyone, her intense stranger anxiety having lifted in the nick of time. Wound up like an eight-day clock (a Matt-ism), she gurgled and chortled at each of them. And eventually at specks of dust once she was overstimulated almost to the point of no return. She loved the new faces and places, almost enough to worry me. Had I been replaced? Forgotten? Only in the daytime: No such luck at night.

The result was that as soon as Kalina was happy and fun I handed her away: when I received her back she was usually nearing basket-case status.

Which was really just fine with me: it still meant a break. We all were thoroughly pampered at each of the grandparent houses and I'm planning on moving in next week.

Most of all, we enjoyed celebrating Jesus' birth. I could expound for several blogs now about the various thoughts of a still sleep-deprived new mother contemplating the birth of a perfect infant (Are the carols true? Was he really "tender and mild?"), but I will instead leave the season purely merry and bright.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

No comments: