Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kalina and the Kats

Lately, we woke the cats up from their naps to ask them a few questions about life with the baby (who chimed in about life with the cats). Here's what they all had to say:

What words would best describe your relationship with each other?
Bad cat: Lately, sheer terror.
Good cat: I thought my life was over when we got the Bad cat. Now, I've explored even more levels of the word "annoying."
Kalina: EEEEIIIIIAAAAAHHHH!!!! *ear-piercing, blood-curdling shriek of joy*

Cats, what was your strategy for successfully accepting Kalina into the home?
Bad cat: I was open to her in the beginning. I even occasionally made her a present of my stuffed monkey by leaving it outside of her room at night, as my way of contributing to her upkeep. Unfortunately, I can't say she's returned the favor and instead seems to have replaced me as the new household boss.
Good cat: I hid, and then I licked her head. I also pre-napped in all of her new baby equipment.

Kalina, how did you find ways to fit in?
Kalina: Um, I chase them and they run away.

All, what have been your biggest challenges in finding ways to get along?
Bad cat: Trying to get anyone to remember to feed me. Or care. And keeping my tail on.
Good cat: My ears. She's even louder than the bad cat and at weirder times.
Kalina: I can't think of any.

What do you like best about your roommate(s)?
Bad cat: I would say the fact that she drops food on the floor and nobody minds if I eat it, but she's not really dropping whole steaks yet so she doesn't do me much good. Maybe just the fact that she's more interesting than the Good cat.
Good cat: She picks on the Bad cat.
Kalina: Their tails, ears, whiskers, fur and water dish. Their antics.

How do you solve conflicts?
Bad cat: Running and hiding
Good cat: Running and hiding
Kalina: Laughing

How do you think your relationship will mature in the next year or so?
Bad cat: Surprisingly, I'm optimistic. As soon as the baby can learn to drag a string along the ground we'll get along much better. I may even give her a second chance with Monkey.
Good cat: I'm not sure, I'll be sleeping in the furthest corner I can find.
Kalina: I'd like to get a really good tug or two on each of their tails. I can picture us all being friends, but only if they can just relax a little. Personally, though, I'd rather have a dog.

Thanks, all! We'll catch up with you again in a few months.

Photo: Kalina loves looking out the windows almost as much as the cats do. It's even better if you have a tail to hold.
First video: Kalina's favorite activity, from a couple weeks ago.
Second video: Easter Sunday




2 comments:

Krista Lucas said...

benjamin liked the second one: "that baby is laughin'." i haven't yet told him that his future wife is in the video. ;)

love you!

Becky said...

Oh, my, her laugh is SOOOO adorable! She had *me* laughing!! :)