First, I should apologize that we didn't invite all of you. I really wanted to, but I'm feeling the need to start small. My reasons are: 1.) Kalina's a small baby 2.) If I have too many guests I won't have any time to spend with her on her special day 3.) I imagine her parties will only get bigger, so if we're not careful we'll be hosting the Queen for sweet sixteen. Not that that wouldn't be fun for our little princess.
Sunday will be all about Kalina, and for the first time in my life a little voice in the back of my brain is telling me that there's something a bit backwards about that. Can I please have a party too? Would someone please make me a cupcake and put a cherry on top? After all, my day a year ago was...um...pretty special, too.
At least I get to pick what Kalina wears. And frankly, I'll settle for not being in labor.
Sunday's weather forecast, which I'm checking every four hours, is 95 degrees and sunny, and we're planning to hold the party at a park. If the humidity creeps up I may be hosting everyone inside our small house instead. I remember that when Kalina was born, we had unseasonably temperate weather in the neighborhood of the low 70s, which would've made a picnic at a park the perfect thing, except we had a needy newborn to take care of.
There will be lots of cupcakes, and the biggest one will belong to Kalina. I'm ashamedly excited for her to get her hands on massive amounts of sugar, because I know how happy sugar makes me. And then at her next birthday, she'll get to try it again.
I've been planning this party, as loyal blog-followers may remember, ever since Kalina turned 6 months old. When Kalina was 8 months, after weeks of intense deliberation, I finally decided on a cupcake theme. When she was 9 months I bought the plates and napkins--because who knew if I'd get back to the store before her birthday, and if I did, whether they'd still be in stock? When she was 10 months I researched local parks to hold it at and when she was 11 months I baked a practice birthday cake (the cake has to be perfect). Last week I stocked up on sprinkles.
I have presents hiding in plain site all over the house and I'm limiting the cooking I'm willing to do this week so I'll have plenty of energy left over to make 3 batches of cake batter, 3 batches of icing and assorted snack/appetizer foods this weekend. I have decorations lined up, family coming into town, laundry done, freelance work postponed and an outfit picked out for the baby.
In short, I'm ready for my little girl to turn 1.
No comments:
Post a Comment