At 5:00 a.m. we were rocketed back to reality by our too-warm child and the realization that we'd left the leftovers in the car overnight, and they probably weren't fit for consumption. Dang.
Kalina had a fever of 101.4, the thermometer told us, and our go-to baby resource suggested we call the doctor. I managed to convince the weird receptionist to book us an appointment and I put the baby down for a nap so she would have a fighting chance at healing.
Then I worried, but not for long because Kalina took the shortest nap possible.
No matter, I would've had to wake her up prematurely anyway so I could whisk her to the doctor within the receptionist's "Please show up 15 minutes early" rule. Which really, I can't blame her for because heaven knows how hard it is to be on time for anything. Matt helped get us out the door, and as I was feeling a bit under the weather myself, promised to be on standby.
I had to kill a big, nasty spider who was on the inside of the windshield on the way. When it rains it pours.
At the office, the receptionist tried desperately to get Kalina to smile, but couldn't. She then informed me my insurance information had magically changed to "expired" on April 19. After she changed it back I hid in the corner with Kalina and we watched the fish in the tank. We really do have valid insurance by the way.
Within 5 minutes Kalina was trying to play peekaboo behind a play table with another patient's mother and I felt a little better, although the fact that she was touching things in a pediatrician waiting room made me nervous. What worse germs could she pick up?
We were called back, and the crying began as we weighed her. At 17 lbs., 14 ounces and 11 1/2 months old, Kalina has almost tripled her birth weight--which is perfect from everything I've heard. The slightly evil nurse (actually, she's very nice, but she doesn't seem to have any problem sticking things into babies, which I suppose makes her a good fit for her job but not someone I particularly trust) took her temperature (101.8) and listened to her heartbeat while Kalina protested with every ounce of her strength. Poor girl.
And then we waited for the doctor as I tried to reduce the sobs to whimpers and then to quiet and then to smiles (we never got to laughs).
The doctor in the office today happened to be my second favorite of the group, so I was happy to see him. I knew he'd give me clear answers that were in keeping with the latest scientific knowledge. I appreciate it when pediatricians know more about babies' health than I can readily find on the Internet. He also clearly understood the concept of stranger anxiety in young children and thankfully was able to examine Kalina quickly and kindly, in my arms the whole time. As she cried her little eyes out.
Much to my relief, the baby just has an ear infection, for which the doctor prescribed antibiotics. After one more visit with the crazy receptionist, we were on our way.
Back at home, Matt volunteered to pick up the prescription while I held down the fort with the baby. I let Kalina have all the Cheerios she wanted, and then I did something we've never tried before. I put some cartoons on the TV and sat with the baby on the couch.
The girl was so absorbed for the first 5 minutes that she dropped everything she was holding (she's always holding something) and stared, mouth slightly ajar. I decided I really could watch the Backyardigans for the rest of the day if it would make Kalina happy and settled in. I also applauded myself for only pulling out TV from my bag of tricks when we really needed it.
Minute number 6, Kalina was mildly entertained. Minute number 7, she was playing on the floor with her back to the TV. Minute number 8 I turned the show off because I didn't want to desensitize her, and also because I read once that babies don't learn well amid television, even if they're not actively watching it. Too bad--I was really getting into the plot.
Minute number 9, I fixed myself a piece of cake, because even though it was only 10:30 a.m. I'd been up for 5 1/2 hours and felt like I deserved it.
The baby hated her antibiotics, by the way, as well as the Motrin I gave her in case she was in pain.
So that's the story of Kalina's first ear infection. And with any luck, we've come to the end of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment