I strollered Kalina into the store, and she immediately hooted with excitement, forsaking even the Cheerios I'd put on her tray. I pulled her out of her stroller and unleashed her on the store. She ran directly to the play kitchen, starting to put the Kalina-sized pots and pans away in the Kalina-sized cupboards. I almost whisked her home that same second to put her to work in my kitchen, but she would have none of that. A foolishly hopeful price check told me that we were $200 away from bringing home that little kitchen, so I pried the child away after a few minutes and we continued on.
We were on a mission, in fact, to find the perfect age-appropriate educational toy. We ended up coming home with a wheeled turtle I found on the clearance rack on my way out the door. The picture on the box shows what looks to be a 9-month old, and the age on the box says 18 months. The saleslady assured me it was a great toy, which was all I needed to hear.
I envisioned myself merrily cooking dinner or relaxing with my feet up while Kalina played with her nice, new turtle friend. She'd smile up at me and we'd discuss the latest family gossip or world news. All thanks to the turtle.
Fortunately, Kalina actually does like the turtle, but only if Mommy wheels it around for her. Ten minutes later, we were back to the daily "But I want to cook dinner"-"But I want you to play with me" discussion. Oh well, we tried.
And so we begged the question: what exactly do you do with a 1-year-old?
It's not that she doesn't have toys--it's just that 1-year-olds are a conundrum of sugary sweet, relatively obedient little learners who are not quite old enough to pretend play but have long since figured out how a rattle works. Kalina's a fun girl, but now that we've stacked blocks to our hearts' content and read every story in the house backwards and forwards (not to mentioned wheeled Mr. Turtle around the kitchen a few dozen times), one of us, at least, is ready for something new.
And so I consulted Google (search term: 1-year-old activities). Based on my results, I found there are exactly five activities for 1-year-olds. They are:
1. Stacking blocks
2. Reading books
3. Wheeling things
4. Filling and dumping
5. Scribbling (although many sites warned that most kids this age will simply try to eat the crayons)
And then the authors of these sites sent their kids off to daycare for the day. Alternatively, the authors put their 1-year-olds down for 3-hour-naps and 13-hour nights of sleep. Alternatively, the authors never had children.
Needless to say, I was disappointed that Google couldn't do better than that. Those five activities entertain Kalina for about 8 minutes. What about the other 12 1/2 hours of Kalina's day? Can anyone help me with them?
I suppose the reason we don't ever hear from stay-at-home moms whose active 1-year-olds only sleep 13 total hours in a given day, at most, is because they simply don't have the time. They're too busy trying to think of fun new ways to entertain their children while cleaning up after them all day long.
On the other hand, if Kalina wrote a list of appropriate activities for 1-year-olds, it would look something like this:
1. Eating mulch
2. Pulling all the books off all the shelves, everywhere in the house
3. Rooting through the garbage can
4. Playing with the DVD player
5. Whatever else Mommy can think of, because she thinks of good things.
At which point I would chime in:
1. Bouncing on the bed
2. Puppet shows with stuffed animals
3. Mailing letters
4. The Here's a Random Kitchen Gadget game
5. Cheerios
I asked Matt what he thought, and he noted that most of the good toys seem to be for 18+ month-olds. Too true. But it still leaves me mystified.
So I'll ask you: is there such a thing (besides DVDs) as an activity that can keep a 1-year-old happy for more than 5 minutes? Bonus points if it would allow Mommy to cook dinner. Extra bonus points if it doesn't cost $200. Extra extra bonus points if it's not something we've already done 14 times today.
3 comments:
Depends on your definition of happy, but Drew liked the following activities at that age:
1. Cling to the back of my legs and scream while I cooked.
2. Play with an unplugged vacuum cleaner. Especially the plug and hose.
My one-year-old loves to "help" me. She helps me set the table, she helps me vacuum the floor (I have the big vacuum, she has the little vacuum), she helps me pick up, and she even likes to stand on a chair by the counter and watch me make supper or bake.
Just remember that everything is going to take a lot longer to do when you have "help."
Sounds a little strange, but I passed time by sitting in the passenger side of the car while my one year old pretended to drive! He could play in the car forever. Obviously, don't let Kalina have the keys . . . they figure out how to put them in the ignition very quickly!!
Post a Comment