Thursday, October 31, 2013

Cute things

Elise and Woolly
One of the worst possible things that can happen if you're a caterpillar is to be found by a young child who is, in fact, interested in caterpillars. Especially if you're fuzzy or, woolly, in the case of a certain woolly bear caterpillar that used to live in our yard, but now lives in a small bug cage that gets carried place to place by a toddler. And given rides.

Poor Woolly, as we call him! Elise is beyond delighted with her new pet, found for her one evening by Daddy. She loves to hold him and does so as often as possible, either taking him out of his cage inside the house when she forgets that it's against the rules (no holding bugs in the house!) or frequently asking to be taken outside so she can hold him and watch him inch up her arm or on her shirt. She's surprisingly gentle when she has to pull him off to drop him back in the cage, although we usually let Kalina do the task, just in case.

And we use "him" loosely--for a while, it was a girl caterpillar until Elise realized we didn't really know for sure. He's been to the park, as well as for multiple rides in the van, our toy grocery cart and our toy car. He's been down slides, and he's been spun in circles many times. We gather fresh food for Woolly daily, and Elise is aware that at some point we'll have to release him. Hopefully he will survive long enough for that reward, as he's been quite the trooper.


The big girls were fighting
over who got to hug the
baby. The baby won.
Elise to Kalina: "If I saw a kitten I would run outside...I would ask a grownup, then run outside and bring in the kitten as quickly as possible."
Kalina to Elise: "If I saw a kitten, I would bring it inside and paint it rainbow colors. Then I would go over it with some shiny stuff so it shines."


Naomi has found her hands and her voice! She also smiles on request if you ask nicely and she's in a good mood. So now her pastimes are: staring at the world around her, very contemplatively; sucking on her fists and cooing out adorable little conversations.

She visited the pediatrician last Monday (the 21st) for her two-month appointment and weighed 9 lbs. 7 ounces, and was 21.5 inches long. She's tiny! The baby did not mind the examination, despite the fact that she'd finally fallen asleep mere seconds before the nurse asked me to undress her and get her ready to be weighed. She did mind the shots, very much. So much that I actually called a friend to pick up some infant Tylenol for me, which she very kindly did. What kind of mother of three doesn't have infant Tylenol?!?


Aunt Debbie gets to hold
Naomi!
We traveled to my cousin's wedding! In a different state! Five hours away! And survived to tell about it! It was hard, but not as hard as it could've been. In short, the baby slept through most of it!

The big girls loved the trip, and especially the hotel stay. Matt and Elise decided to sleep in Grandpa Tom's room, which Elise turned into a mini-sleepover. Long after the light had been turned off, she was still chattering away about how sleepy she wasn't, and had both the guys cracking up every time she opened her mouth.

Kalina, on the other hand, was happy to turn out the light and go to sleep--she takes after her mommy!

What does Elise do when
faced with a table full of
Hershey's kisses? Eat
them as quickly as possible,
and raid neighboring tables
for more.
The wedding was lovely--Elise's favorite part (and probably Kalina's, even though she's less vocal about it) was the endless supply of Hershey's kisses on the tables at the reception. They also liked the desserts, potato chips and punch. What's not to like? Naomi did not like the wedding--it was too loud and there was no place for her to relax. She was thrilled to be back in our somewhat quiet hotel room, and even happier to be back on her playtime blanket at home.


The big girls and I have a shaky, unofficial agreement. They can visit each other in their rooms at downtime as long as I don't "know" about it. That means even if they get into a fight, achieve minor injuries (and believe me, our injuries are usually quite minor) or spill caterpillar excrement on Kalina's carpet. I need to figure out what to do about this, but I'm buying time by pretending I don't know about it.


And that is all for now. Happy Halloween! Pics to come!

Aw!



1 comment:

Nanc said...

I recommend you keep pretending you don't know about the downtime visits for, oh, about the next 13 years. I can't imagine a better scheme to make them cooperate and get along than both cooperating against the parents! If not for that, how would I have gotten hoisted so far up into the laundry chute or hitched in the wagon to the back of the bikes??