Friday, April 25, 2008

Lungs, or lack thereof

Funny thing about lungs. You don't notice them until they're gone, but then you really, really notice them. I find it a bit ironic that as Baby Girl is developing the air sacs that will make her wails loud and clear post-birth (not that her demeanor will ever be anything but pleasant), I'm losing mine. This is exactly along the lines of my "Baby eats what she's developing" theory.

From my side of the world:
I first noticed my lungs missing a couple weeks ago, shortly after returning from Illinois. During my visit, I'd taken care to stay active during the week, walking my sister's dog (or letting the dog walk me, since I simply can't say no to cute, furry animals) and even taking a turn on the treadmill. This was to make up for the massive amounts of delicious food I was eating, and also so my doctor would still like me at my next appointment.

When I returned to North Carolina and Matt and I ventured out on one of our neighborhood walks, the strangest thing happened: I barely made it! After we rested on a bench for a few minutes, I managed to slowly pant and gasp my way home.

I began to have similar experiences when I exerted myself in other ways--emptying the dishes, for instance, or doing laundry. Apparently, my breathing privileges were being revoked.

This wasn't the first time in pregnancy that I'd had trouble with exercise--for a span of about a week or two my round ligament pain kept me from walking too far. However, the difference later on was that I actually felt fine. Not tired. Not pained. Not nauseated. I felt just about the best I had all pregnancy, with the minor exception of not being able breathe.

So, contrary to my normal reaction to painful exercise, I pushed myself harder the next time we walked, thinking I was simply out of shape. And as a result, my round ligament pain came back and I limped, panted and gasped home, only to collapse in a fetal position on the couch.

I thought I was pathetic. Here I am, still able to hide my pregnancy (even the woman who searched me at security at the airport couldn't tell until I told her), and I can hardly make it through a short neighborhood walk!

I decided to try a different form of recommended pregnancy exercise: squats. I did two (not two sets--just two), and promptly got bored of them (exercise really isn't my thing). Good thing I quit: I was sore for the next two days. What?!? This was the most out of shape I'd ever been, yet other than that, I felt fine! What's a girl supposed to do???

Fortunately, reality intervened. A friend nicely reminded me that I'm pregnant. It hit me over the head and quieted my inner guilt complex immediately. It also took me by surprise. Suddenly, the pieces started fitting together--I'm newly in my third trimester. I'm not, nor have I ever been a professional athelete. Baby Girl is growing, and squishing my lungs (or eating them). It's all downhill from here until I deliver, and there's really nothing I can do about it. What a novel idea.

I'm still exercising, but I'm limiting myself, too. If I'm on my feet all day, for instance, sitting out on the deck enjoying the weather might be the most exercise I need. Fine by me.

From Baby's side of the world:
As I'm learning how to get by without much air, Baby is starting to learn to breathe! Her lungs are still developing--they're one of the last organs to be ready to go--and she practices using them by making little movements with her diaphragm. These movements can actually lead to hiccups, which I'll be able to feel. In fact, I may have felt them last week--they're small, rhythmic motions. Very cute.

Interestingly, if Baby were to be born today, her lungs would be one of the biggest concerns. She'd likely be just fine with help, but may need to be on a ventilator or respirator for a few weeks until she's ready to breathe on her own.

A few other facts: she probably weighs about 3 pounds (although this could easily vary by half a pound either way), and is about 15 inches long. She's sensitive to light and she can hear. Like her mother, she's happily adding layers of fat and will continue to do so until delivery.

So at least my lungs are going to a good cause. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing them again in a few months.

2 comments:

ladybugblue said...

OK, this one made me laugh out loud. Terrible, isn't it, that non-pregnant people laugh at your expense?! Hang in there, and from what I understand about pregnancy your lungs will eventually return. Good luck with that though!

Nanc said...

Aunt Mary's a sucker!!

I love you!
Love,
Poky