Thursday, April 3, 2008

My foot hurts, and other random pregnancy symptoms

Some days, pregnancy is just plain weird. It's nothing like I expected. I planned on being uncomfortable and a bit miserable--mostly stemming from an extremely large belly (which I have yet to develop). Baby movement didn't even really take me by surprise--it felt pretty much like how you'd figure. It's really the small things that made me shake my head in wonder.

About a week ago, for instance, I noticed that my left foot hurt, but just the outside part of it. It was the type of ache you get when you stub your pinky toe really hard--not the extreme pain, just the ache that makes you want to wear sensible shoes for a day or two and get your husband to just run upstairs and get your sweatshirt quick because you're cold and pregnant and trying to stay off your foot.

Matt and I both tried to figure out what I'd done to make my foot hurt. He happily blamed it on my choice of shoes (he secretly disapproves of my shoe collection because it's not full of tennis shoes and hiking boots! :) ), and busied himself with warning me every time I crossed the room not to stub my toe. I have been wearing only comfortable flat shoes for about a month now, and had no clue as to why my foot hurt.

A couple days later, I was reading a message board and found a post about other pregnant women having foot problems, some of which sounded exactly like mine. It turns out my ligaments and joints are stretching, and have caused the aforesaid foot pain. Weird, huh?

Somewhere around the end of my 1st trimester, I noticed I wasn't seeing as well as I used to. Because apparently my doctor, dentist and dermatologist appointments weren't enough, I made a mental note to see the optometrist--I hadn't been for 2 years and it's high time. Fortunately, before I completely changed my prescription I read that pregnancy can cause your eyesight to worsen. So I'll be putting off that appointment until this fall. Again, weird.

In mid-February, I got a head cold. As it cleared up, I noticed my nose was still stuffy. Still is, actually. You guessed it--pregnancy causes your nose to stuff up. Combine that with the fact that pregnancy also causes general breathlessness and you'll see why I breathe through my mouth a lot nowadays. I sometimes seem to have to make a conscious effort to get enough air.

And finally, I'd expected some morning sickness, but what I never thought about was the gag reflex that comes along with or without it. Even on days when I'm feeling just fine, bananas, meat, vegetables, fish oil capsules--just about anything other than ice-cream and baked goods, actually--can make me gag randomly. Very strange.

As a side note, I can't wait to see some of you soon for my shower! I've been packing all day. And fortunately, I've had all day: pregnancy brain makes packing in a short period of time nearly impossible. It goes something like this:

Pull something out of closet.
It reminds me of something else I need to pack.
Head downstairs to retrieve the item.
Forget why I'm down here. 
Remember something I need to do upstairs before I leave.
Head upstairs to do just that.
Forget why I'm up here.
Remember something else I need downstairs.
Once downstairs, remember something else I need downstairs.
Grab second item. 
Forget first item.
Head upstairs.
Remember first item.
Give up for the time being and pack second item.
You get the picture.

So if I show up to the shower on Saturday wearing only 1 shoe and with dirty hair, you'll know why! Hopefully we'll have a good time anyway! :)



No comments: