Thursday, March 20, 2008

A case of the grumpies

Poor Matt.

I've heard that, on average, men change moods about 6 times a day. Non-pregnant women change moods about 30.

Pregnant women, however, are moody for two now. I would imagine (um...or I know...) that in women pregnant with baby girls the effect increases even more. Thirty plus thirty, after all, does equal sixty.

I think Matt would agree (unless any of you have heard something different! :) ) that my mood changes generally alternate between happy, happier, happy, a bit less happy, happy most of the day. At least, pre-pregnancy they did.

Now, however, I have days when my moods would need a Richter scale to truly understand their magnitude. So, poor Matt.

But wait, have we factored in pregnancy insomnia, which has lately brought on lots of tossing and turning in the early morning hours (please, please, please don't anyone remind me that this is the most sleep I'll ever get until the child is in college--I've heard)? And what about the nausea that still catches up to me in the evenings? And the general stress of monitoring everything that could and will affect Baby K? And the fact that I only have about 15 weeks left of only having to worry about myself (and Matt and the cats occasionally)?

Is it any wonder that my moods aren't bright and shiny every second of the day?

And if you're wondering, I'M NOT ENJOYING THIS!!!

Okay, calm down. I'm posting this because it's only fair to be honest about all the effects of pregnancy--not just the fun ones like baby kicks and the lovely things I get to eat.

Really, everything's fine. I think we all miss the old Mary (especially poor Matt, who is bearing up extremely well), but hopefully Baby Girl will be cute enough to make up for my shortcomings. Either that, or she and I will have a good cry together.

2 comments:

the four of us said...

yikes...i feel the same way. i kind of freak out and snap at poor tim over, well, everything. poor husbands.

but seriously, the lack of sleep isn't too long lasting. it is a cruel trick of mother nature to make the end part of pregnancy not nice and restful though. just when you need the sleep, it escapes you...

ladybugblue said...

It was great to see you this weekend - and you did NOT seem grouchy or mood-swingy to me, if it makes you feel any better! :)